Home | Gallery | Forum | Ads YESTERDAYSTRUCK.COM 
The Classic Truck Resource Page
Vintage Truck Headquarters

Featured Photo

Classified Ads
Photo Ads

Discussion Forum
Forum Archives

Misc Truck Photos
Ford Truck Photos
Picture List

Research & Info
Model Profiles
Ford F-Series
Truck Links

Contact Us

Related Sites
Antique Tractors
Kountry Life
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Discussion Forum

Getting Titles for old Trucks.

Welcome [Log out]

09-27-2007 04:58:55

Report to Moderator

Does anyone know if you can get titles for old trucks. I have a couple from Texas with no titles. Surely there is some way to get a title?

[Reply]   [No Email]

12-05-2007 09:30:25

Report to Moderator
 Re: Getting Titles for old Trucks. in reply to dej(jed), 09-27-2007 04:58:55  
The easiest way to do this with little to no hassle is to go to an local insurance company who does title bonds.
Take a notarized bill of sale in on the vehicle and pay $75-$100 for the bond.
The price of the bond is valuated on the vehicle and most go by auction results unfortunately.
Once you have the bond go to the DMV and go through the normal registration process.
I have been doing this for many years and it works very well.

[Reply]  [No Email]

11-24-2007 15:06:44

Report to Moderator
 Re: Getting Titles for old Trucks. in reply to dej(jed), 09-27-2007 04:58:55  
Can get one here www.broadwaytitle.com

[Reply]  [No Email]

09-28-2007 01:50:26

Report to Moderator
 Re: Getting Titles for old Trucks. in reply to dej(jed), 09-27-2007 04:58:55  
It depends on the law of your state. In my state, Washington, the State Patrol has inspection lanes where they examine vehicles that people want to get Washington State titles on. Most of those vehicles come from out of state, and have documentation from the previous state. The inspection is to confirm that the vehicle matches the documentation and that the identification has not been altered. Occasionally they have located stolen vehicles doing the inspection.

There also are procedures for licensing/titling vehicles that have never been licensed or titled before or the documentation has been lost or is unknown. The WSP can assign a vehicle identification number, like to an assembled trailer that never had a VIN. Or they can authorize a provisional title if no records can be found after a search of various data bases. This provisional title can become a legal, regular title after a time period elapses, if a previous legal owner of the vehicle cannot be located.

I would suggest talking to your local law enforcement agency to see if they know how this problem is handled in your state. If they don't handle it themselves, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Another suggestion: I would not do anything to or with the trucks until you have legal paperwork that shows that they belong to you. I know of a situation where a guy did a bunch of work on, and installed a nice metal bed on an early 50's GMC that he was "given" as an abandoned vehicle left on the property of his boss. It turned out that the actual, legal owner had been in prison for a couple of years. When he got out, he saw his truck being operated by this other guy. And as it ended up, the guy who had been in prison got his truck back and the guy who had invested a couple of thousand dollars in it was just out his investment. Because he didn't handle the "abandoned" vehicle according to law and through proper procedures.

Good luck, I bet there is a way for you to get legal ownership, sanctioned by your state.

[Reply]  [No Email]

09-27-2007 09:34:35

Report to Moderator
 Re: Getting Titles for old Trucks. in reply to dej(jed), 09-27-2007 04:58:55  
I certainly don't want to run down the service AACA supplies---but (there's always a "but")---they don't seem to do much you can't do yourself, altho, depending on your DMV, your time saved may be well worth their price, whatever it is they do.
You should find out what your state will require to register/license (assuming you're not in Texas) and work from there; you didn't say whether they'd ever been registered (I don't know what Texas required for 100% off-road vehicles, if they were farm trucks). Almost always you'll be required to show some kind of legal acquisition from someone who had legal ownership (the right to sell/transfer to you). The regulations could make it difficult or time consuming (or impossible) but they're intended to prevent others from taking your vehicles and registerering them as their own. This's a very complex subject, that can't be covered in short postings.
It might be the better part of valor to make your inquiries discreetly, on the off chance there might be serious gaps in the recorded chain of ownership...

[Reply]  [No Email]

09-27-2007 06:58:03

Report to Moderator
 Re: Getting Titles for old Trucks. in reply to dej(jed), 09-27-2007 04:58:55  
I did a gooogle search and found this.

[Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Add a Reply]

Hop to:


Copyright © 2002-2013 YesterdaysTruck.com
Antique Truck Headquarters